Professor Gordon Parkinson
Position: Director, Nanochemistry Research Institute
Affiliation: Curtin University of Technology
Nanochemistry Research Institute
Curtin University of Technology
GPO Box U1987
Perth 6845 Western Australia
Phone: +61 (08) 9266 3838
The core areas of expertise (of Parkinson and colleagues within the NRI) are: crystallization, in particular control of processes at the nano-level that determine size, morphology, polymorph, nanostructure, etc.; mineral processing and biomineralisation; computational chemistry, molecular modelling and computational fluid dynamics; nanocharacterization, in particular the use of in situ scanning probe microscopy; the synthesis and application of nanoporous structures and catalysts; synthetic and supramolecular chemistry; surface science; precipitation of iron in mineral processing and medicine.
- S.J. Freij, G.M. Parkinson and M.M. Reyhani J. Cryst. Growth 260, 232-242 (2004) “Direct observation of the growth of gibbsite crystals by atomic force microscopy”
- F. Jones, M.I. Ogden, A. Olliveira, G.M. Parkinson and W.R. Richmond Cryst. Eng. Comm.5(30),159-163 (2003) “The effect of phosphonate-based growth modifiers on the morphology of hematite nanoparticles formed via acid hydrolysis of ferric chloride solutions”
- M. Loan, T.G. St Pierre, G.M. Parkinson, O.G.M. Newman and J.B. Farrow Journal of Metals 40-43 (2002) “Identifying Nanoscale Ferrihydrite in Hydrometallurgical Residues”
- A.M. Fogg, A.J. Freij, A.L. Rohl, M.I. Ogden and G.M. Parkinson J. Phys. Chem. B 106, 5820-5826 (2002) “Toward a Fundamental Understanding of Molecular Recognition: A Synthetic and Computational Study of Morphological Control of Ca3Al2(OH)12”
- Fleming, S., Rohl, A. L. and Parkinson, G.M. (2000). Atomistic Modelling of Gibbsite: Surface Structure and Morphology J. Cryst. Growth 209, 159-166.
- Gale, J.D., Rohl, A.L., Watling, H.R. and Parkinson, G.M. (1999) Theoretical investigations of the nature of aluminium-containing species present in alkaline solution J. Phys. Chem. B102 10372
- Fogg, A., Rohl, A.L., Parkinson, G.M. and O'Hare, D. (1999) Predicting Guest Orientations in Layered Double Hydroxide Intercalates Chem. Mater. 11, 1194
- Rossiter, D.S., Fawell, P.D., Ilievski, D. & Parkinson, G.M. (1998) Investigation of the unseeded nucleation of gibbsite, Al(OH)3, from synthetic Bayer liquors J. Cryst. Growth 191 525-536.
- Parkinson, G.M (1998) Crystal-macromolecule interactions in urolithiasis: lessons from healthy biomineralization systems Current Opinion in Urology 8:301-308.
- Rossiter, D.S., Ilievski, D., Smith, P.G. & Parkinson, G.M. (1996) The mechanism of sodium gluconate poisoning of gibbsite precipitation Trans I ChemE 74(A), 828.
- Benton, W.J., Collins I.R., Cooper, S.D., Grimsey, I.M., Parkinson, G.M. and Rodger, S.A. (1993) The nucleation, growth and inhibition of barium sulphate - controlled modification with organic and inorganic additives Faraday Discussion No 95, 281
- Ramdas, S., Parkinson, G.M., Thomas, J.M., Grammacioli, C.M., Filipini, G., Simonetta, M. and Goringe, M. (1980) Determination of the crystal structure of metastable anthracene by a novel method Nature 284, 153
- Scanning Probe Microscopy Facility (3 AFMs, 1 STMs) in situ cells; force measurement; electrochemical capabilities; TEM, SEM, XRD, SAXS
- Computational Molecular Modelling (6 Silicon Graphics Work Stations; 2 Beowulf Parallel Processors; Software: ab initio QM; forcefield; molecular dynamics; GULP, MARVIN, SIESTA, GDIS)
- Supramolecular chemistry synthesis
- Professor Richard Catlow
Wolfson Professor of Natural Philosophy
Director, Davy Faraday Laboratory
- Dr Jim de Yoreo
Head, Biosecurity and Nanosciences Laboratory
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
- Professor Kieran Hodnett
Director, Materials and Surface Science Institute
University of Limerick