Associate Professor Brendan Kennedy
BEd (Melb), PhD (Monash)
Position: Associate professor in Chemistry
Affiliation: School of Chemistry, University of Sydney
School of Chemistry, Building F11
University of Sydney, NSW, 2006
Phone: +61 (2) 9351 2742
Fax: +61 (2) 9351 3329
I have played a major role in the development of the powder diffraction facilities at the Australian National Beamline Facility since its inception in 1993 and serve on the Photon Factory Specialist committee of the Australian Synchrotron Research Program. I am a member of the Powder Diffraction Special Interest Group at SPring-8. I am currently a member of the National Scientific Advisory Committee for the Australian Synchrotron and Chair of the AINSE Neutron Scattering Specialist Committee. In addition to publishing numerous papers on structural studies of inorganic materials I have given invited talks at a number of international conferences, including the American Chemical Society, the International Conference on Neutron Scattering, The Japanese Crystallographic Society, and The Asian Society of Crystallographers. Together with PhD students from Sydney University I have pioneered high temperature powder diffraction at the ANBF including the development of a novel furnace.
- Preparation and Characterisation of Dinuclear Copper-Indomethacin Anti-Inflammatory Drugs Y.R. Morgan, P. Turner, B.J. Kennedy, T.W. Hambley, P.A. Lay, J.R. Biffin, H.L. Regtop and B. Warwick Inorg Chim Acta 2001, (324), 149-161.
- Determination of the Structures of Antiinflammatory Copper(II) Dimers of Indomethacin by Multiple-Scattering Analyses of X-ray Absorption Fine Structure J.E. Weder, T.W. Hambley, B.J. Kennedy, P.A. Lay, G.J. Foran and A.M. Rich, Inorg Chem, 2001 (40) 1295-1302.
- Syntheses and Characterization of Anti-inflammatory Dinuclear and Mononuclear Zinc Indomethacin Complexes. Crystal Structures of [Zn2(Indomethacin)4(L)2] (L = N,N-Dimethylacetamide, Pyridine, 1-Methyl-2-pyrrolidinone) and [Zn(Indomethacin)2(L1)2] (L1 = Ethanol, Methanol) Q. Zhou T. W. Hambley, B.J. Kennedy, P. A. Lay, P. Turner, B. Warwick, J. R. Biffin and H. L. Regtop. Inorg Chem., 2000 (39) 3742-3748.
- Anti-Inflammatory Dinuclear Copper(II) Complexes with Indomethacin. Synthesis, Magnetism and EPR Spectroscopy; Crystal Structure of the N,Ní-dimethulformamide adduct. J.E. Weder, T.W. Hambley, B.J. Kennedy, P.A. Lay, D.MacLachlan, R. Bramley, C.D. Delfs, K.S. Murray, B.Moubaraki, B. Warwick, J.R. Biffin and H.L. Regtop, Inorg Chem., 1999 (38) 1736-1744.
- Copper complexes of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: an opportunity yet to be realized J.E. Weder, C.T. Dillon T.W. Hambley, B.J. Kennedy, P.A. Lay J.R. Biffin, H.L. Regtop and N.M. Davies Coord. Chem. Rev. 2002 (232) 95-126.
- Gastrointestinal Toxicity, Antiinflammatory Activity, and Superoxide Dismutase Activity of Copper and Zinc Complexes of the Antiinflammatory Drug Indomethacin. C.T. Dillon, T.W. Hambley, B.J Kennedy, P.A. Lay, Q. Zhou, N.M. Davies, J.R. Biffin and H.L. Regtop, Chemical Research in Toxicology 2003, (16), 28-37.
- Implementation of X-ray microscopy and micro-XANES analysis for investigations of the cellular uptake and cellular metabolism of transition metals Dillon CT, Kennedy BJ, Lay PA, Lai B, Cai Z, Stampfl APJ, Ilinski P, Legnini D, Maser J, Rodrigues Shea-McCarthy G, Cholewa M JOURNAL DE PHYSIQUE IV 2003 (104) 293-296