Dr Luis Filgueira
Position: Senior Lecturer
Affiliation: University of Western Australia, School of Anatomy & Human Biology
The School of Anatomy & Human Biology
The Faculty of Life and Physical Sciences
The University of Western Australia
35 Stirling Highway
CRAWLEY WA 6009
Phone: +61 (08) 6488 3907
Main expertise in immunology and morphology:
Cellular immunology, including cell culture and functional tests using human, mouse and rat in vitro models (proliferation assays; antigen presentation assays; generation of antigen-specific T-cells in vitro; generation of antigen presenting cells, including EBV transformed B-lymphocytes and dendritic cells, flow cytometry, ELISA, RT-PCR). More recently, working on metals as antigens: uptake, processing and presentation.
Morphology: light, fluorescence and electron microscopy for biological samples (standard methods; immune labelling methods; molecule and particle tracking methods; x-ray analysis). More recently, exploring methods for investigating metal processing by immune cells and osteoclasts.
- L Filgueira, P Groscurth, M Aguet.
Binding and internalization of gold-labelled IFN-g by human Raji cells.
J. Immunol. 1989, 142, 3436.
- L Filgueira, M Zuber, A Merlo, F Harder, M Heberer, GC Spagnoli..
Effects of different culture protocols on the expression of discrete T cell receptor variable regions in human tumor infiltrating lymphocytes.
Eur. J. Cancer 1993, 29A, 1754.
- L Filgueira, V Caetano, U Lüscher, A Juretic, M Zuber, F Harder, G Garotta, M Heberer, GC Spagnoli..
Differential effects of interleukin-2 and CD3 triggering on cytokine gene transcription and secretion in cultured human infiltrating lymphocytes.
Cell. Immunol. 1993,150, 205.
- L Filgueira, FO Nestlé, M Rittig, HI Joller, P Groscurth.
Human dendritic cells phagocytose and process Borrelia burgdorferi.
J. Immunol. 1996, 157, 2998.
- G Grouard, I Durand, L Filgueira, J Banchereau, A-J Liu.
Dendritic cells capable of stimulating T cells in germinal centres.
Nature 1996, 383,364.
- G Grouard, M-C Rissoan, L Filgueira, I Durand, J Banchereau, Y-J Liu.
The enigmatic plasmocytoid T cells deveop into dendritic cells with IL-3 and CD40-ligand.
J. Exp. Med. 1997, 185, 1101.
- FO Nestlé, L Filgueira, BJ Nickoloff, G Burg.
Human dermal dendritic cells process and present soluble protein antigens.
J. Investig. Dermatol. 1998, 110, 762.
- Ch Beermann, G Lochnit, R Geyer, P Groscurth, L Filgueira.
The lipid-component of lipoproteins from Borrelia burgdorferi: structural analysis, antigenicity and presentation via human dendritic cells.
Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 2000, 267, 897.
- Ch Beermann, H Wunderli-Allenspach, P. Groscurth, L Filgueira.
Lipoproteins from Borrelia burgdorferi applied in liposomes and presented by dendritic cells induce CD8+ T-lymphocytes in vitro
Cell. Immunol. 2000, 201, 124-131.
- SJ Wu, G Grouard, JR Mascola, R Putvana, MK Louder, L Filgueira, M Marovich, E Brachtel, G Murphy, N Bhamapravati, DL Birx, C Hayes, S Schlesinger Frankel.
Human skin Langerhans cells are targets in transmission of dengue virus infection.
Nature Medicine 2000, 6, 816-820.
- R Nunez, L Filgueira.
Flow cytometric assessment of the reactivity of a panel of monoclonal antibodies (mAb) against two populations of human dendritic cells (DC).
BMC Immunology 2001, 2:6
- E Eppler, H Horig, HL Kaufman, P Groscurth, L Filgueira.
Carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA) presentation and specific T cell-priming by human dendritic cells transfected with CEA-mRNA.
European Journal of Cancer 2002, 38, 184-193.
- L Filgueira. Fluorescence-based staining for tartrate-resistant acidic phosphatase (TRAP) in osteoclasts combined with other fluorescent dyes and protocols. J. Histochem. Cytochem. 2004, 52, 411.
Infrastructure for processing of biological samples for light and electron microscopy.