Associate Professor Michael Boyer
MBBS, PhD, FRACP
Position: Head Medical Oncology, Sydney Cancer Centre
Senior Staff Specialist, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital
Clinical Associate Professor, University of Sydney
Affiliation: Sydney Cancer Centre
Sydney Cancer Centre
Level 6, Gloucester House
Royal Prince Alfred Hospital
Camperdown NSW 2050
Phone: +61 (2) 9515 6018
Fax: +61 (2) 9515 7404
Michael Boyer is an academic oncologist with over ten years experience in
the management of cancer patients and in cancer clinical trials. His
research over the past few years has focused on clinical trials of new
anti-cancer agents and cancer imaging. These studies include a large
randomised trial of PET scanning, as well as several clinical trials which
have been established and then co-ordinated on a nationwide basis by Dr
Boyer. Over the past 5 years he has been the principal investigator on 10
clinical trials. In addition, he has collaborated with Martin Tattersall and
Phyllis Butow on several projects relating to doctor-patient communication
in the cancer consultation. He has been an investigator in several of these
studies, and a participant in others. His research has been published
predominantly in major cancer journals. The current application extends his
collaboration with the other principal investigators, and builds on his
experience in communication research.
- von Pawel J, von Roemeling R, Gatzemeier U, Boyer M, Elisson LO, Clark P, et
al. Tirapazamine Plus Cisplatin Versus Cisplatin in Advanced Non-small-Cell
Lung Cancer: A Report of the International CATAPULT I Study Group. J Clin
Oncol, 2000; 18: 1351-1359.
- Rischin D, Boyer M, Smith J, et al. A phase I trial of docetaxel and
gemcitabine in patients with advanced cancer. Ann Oncol, 2000; 11: 421-426.
- Rischin D, Smith J, Millward M, Lewis C, Boyer M, Richardson G, Toner G,
Gurney H, McKendrick J. A phase II trial of paclitaxel and epirubicin in
advanced breast cancer. Br J Cancer, 2000; 83: 438 - 442.
- Rivory LP, Slaviero K, Seale JP, Hoskins JM, Boyer M, Beale PJ, Millward MJ,
Bishop JF, Clarke SJ. Optimising the erythromycin breath test for use in
cancer patients. Clinical Cancer Research, 2000; 6: 3480 - 3485.
- Boyer MJ, Mitchell P, Goldstein D, Millward MJ, Olver IN, Clarke SJ,
Richardson G, Davis I. Phase II study of paclitaxel and oral etoposide in
patients with locally advanced or metastatic non-small cell lung cancer.
Lung Cancer, 2001; 32: 89 - 94.
- Toner G, Stockler MR, Boyer MJ, Jones M, Thompson DB, Harvey VJ, et al
Comparison of two standard chemotherapy regimens for good-prognosis germ
cell tumours: a randomised trial. Lancet, 2001; 357: 739 - 745.
- Horvath LG, Boyer MJ, Clarke SJ, Beale P, Beith J, Underhill C, Stockler M,
Bishop J. Carboplatin and Vinorelbine in untreated locally advanced and
metastatic non-small cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer, 2001; 32: 173 - 178.
- Twelves C, Boyer M, Findlay M, Cassidy J, Weitzel C, Barker C, et al.
Capecitabine improves medical resource use compared with 5-fluorouracil
plus leucovorin in a phase III trial conducted in patients with advanced
colorectal carcinoma. Eur J Cancer, 2001; 37: 597 - 604.
- Van Cutsem E, Twelves C, Cassidy J, Allman D, Bajetta E, Boyer M, et al.
Oral capecitabine compared with intravenous fluorouracil plus leucovorin in
patients with metastatic colorectal cancer: results of a large phase III
study. J Clin Oncol, 2001; 19: 4097 - 4106.
- Rivory LP, Clarke SJ, Boyer M, Bishop JF. Highly sensitive analysis of the
antifolate pemetrexed sodium, a new cancer agent, in human plasma and urine
by high-prtformance liquid chromatography. Journal of Chromatography B,
2001; 765: 135 - 140.
- Clarke SJ, Abratt R, Goedhals L, Boyer MJ, Millward MJ, Ackland SP. Phase II
trial of pemetrexed disodium (ALIMTA, LY231514) in chemotherapay mnaive
patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC). Ann Onc, 2002;
13: 737 - 741.
- Cassidy J, Twelves C, Van Cutsem E, Hoff P, Bajetta E, Boyer M, et al.
First-line oral capecitabine therapy in metastatic colorectal cancer: a
favourable safety profile compared with intravenous
5-fluorouracil/leucovorin. Ann Oncol, 2002; 13: 566 - 575.
- Boyer MJ, Rosenthal MA, Eisinger D, Goad J, Webb D, Stockler MR. Adjuvant
mitoxantrone chemotherapy for men at high risk of relapse following radical
prostatectomy: a pilot study. UroOncology, 2002; 2: 15 - 17.
- Boyer MJ, Rivory LP, Clarke SJ. Pemetrexed: single agent and combination
phase I study overview. Semin Oncol, 2002; 29, Suppl 18: 18 - 23.
- Millward MJ, Boyer MJ, Lehnert M, et al. Docetaxel and carboplatin is an
active regimen in advanced non-small cell lung cancer: a phase II study in
Caucasian and Asian patients. Ann Oncol, 2003; 14: 449 - 454.
- Boyer M, Byrne M, Clarke S. Alimta: a new treatment option for malignant
mesothelioma. Reviews in Clinical Oncology, 2003; 1: 4 - 8.
- Vogelzang NJ, Rusthoven JJ, Symanowski J, Denham C, Kaukel E, Ruffie P,
Gatzemeier U, Boyer M, et al. Phase III study of pemetrexed in combination
with cisplatin versus cisplatin alone in patients with malignant pleural
mesothelioma. J Clin Oncol, 2003; 21: 2636 - 2644.
- Zhang M, Boyer M, Rivory L, et al. Radiosensitization of vinorelbine and
gemcitabine in NCI-H460 non-small cell lung cancer cells. Int J Radiation
Oncology Biol Phys, 2004; 58: 353 - 360.
Dr Boyer Provides the Network with expertise in conducting clinical trials of new agents for the treatment and imaging of cancer. He has particular interests in genitourinary cancer and lung cancer.